Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gary Onady originals & Jazz Central does it again

After posting my Eddie Brookshire at Gilly's comments I heard from trumpeter, flugle horn player Gary Onady. I am glad I did because now I know the actual names of his original compositions instead of just what I thought I heard. I quote from Gary as follows:

The name of the tunes I wrote were: Rena's Dream (written for my youngest daughter Rena); Hailey's Here (written for my granddaughter the day she was born). I was writing it with the inspiration of Lee Morgan and Kenny Durham, and was to call it Kenny and Lee, but then my wife came into the room and said, Gary we have to go to the hospital, Hailey's Here, and that is how the song got its name... Sorry Kenny and Lee).

Now on to Jazz Central. I have mentioned before that I try not to write about Jazz Central too much because I go there just about every Sunday night from 8:30 to Midnight but Sunday night was special. To quote M.C., singer and trumpet player extraordinaire (not to mention a mighty fine flugle horn too), John Hampton Wagner, "two of the best tenor sax players in the Dayton area" played back and forth Sunday night, Chuck Wade (whom I am most familiar with as part of the Sinclair College Jazz Band) and King Kohler (who is part of the Air Force Band of Flight) - These two knocked the ball right out of the park on Tenor Madness - thank you John for suggesting the tune - it was truly magical. They kept things jumping all night long but they hit another home run on Mr. Magic later in the evening. They were more than ably assisted by Joseph Glenn on steel drums, Wagner on trumpet/flugle horn, Ron Applebury on electric bass, Greg Webster on drums, Cliff Darrett on congas and latin percussion, Ahmed Abdullah on congas and Mike Pilkenton on alto sax. We also heard from Ishmael Muhammad and "Craig" on drums. It was a night for the books. Thank you Butch Stone for keeping Jazz Central a place where jazz can be experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment