Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Blue Wisp Wed/Thurs

Believe I mentioned that it has been a hectic month for me, little time to get out and hear live jazz as I like to. Missed the DJO at Harrigan's South (heard it was great, including Fenton Sparks on drums) and I missed guitarist Tim Berens performing in Centerville, good music close to home and the added benefit of little cost involved. But Wednesday, 2-16-11, I and two other jazz lovers made our way down to the Blue Wisp to catch The Blue Wisp Big Band. They played some tunes that were just killer, even with about five new faces in the band. The last song was a fantastic send off enticing those in attendance to come back again soon.

But I really write at this time because I had to work late in Cincinnati the very next day, Thursday night. I had spoken with far out jazz drummer Ron Enyard at the Big Band gig and he had invited me back. I got finished early and ended my evening with Ron Enyard on drums, Dan Karlzberg on keyboards and Dan Drees on saxophone. Ron Enyard has an uncanny sense of timing no matter what he is saying on the drums, I love to hear the piano playing of Dan Karlzberg and I had actually completely lost touch with Dan Drees whom I first heard at the Old Pacchia's in Dayton. He knew his way around a tenor saxophone then and I enjoyed him again this night. Heck, it was like old home week for me. The set I heard they played Star Eyes, Surrey with the Fringe on Top and they closed out with a John Coltrane tune entitled Bessie's Blues, very enjoyable. But the surprise of the evening was a reincarnation of Chet Baker on vocals. I will admit that I will take a reincarnation of Chet Baker on trumpet over a reincarnation of Chet Baker on vocals but David Tarbell, who doubled as the bar tender, made me take a double take when he launched into a version of "I Should Care." I just kept shaking my head in amazement. It was actually a little eerie, the similarity in the voice was almost scary. He also sang "Getting Sentimental Over You" and "It Could Happen to me." I still shake my head in wonder. If you like Chet Baker vocals then get down to The Blue Wisp on Thursday nights and catch the singing bar tender, David Tarbell. You too will shake your head in wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment