Tuesday, June 12, 2018

What is a "Jazz Jam?"


      Over the years, many have asked me, “Just what is a Jazz Jam? “ Without getting technical, the easy answer is; a venue like Jazz Central, who has been doing Sunday Night Jams for close to fifty years, hires a core group to perform and then lets anyone who shows up to sit in with the group. Sometimes they have to take turns, which is handled by the Jam leader. Many times it’s just another evening of good inexpensive entertainment but there are times, when depending upon who shows up, it’s magic and some of the best jazz anywhere.















































     Having talked Grant Koeller into doing a gig on my birthday and since he has been leading the Jazz Jams at Jazz Central (2932 E. 3rd. St. in Dayton) in recent years, I asked him if we could open my event and invite other jazz musicians and vocalist form our area to sit in. That would give them a chance to see what the Milton is like as a performance venue. It is my hope that some of my Jazz musicians (and vocalist) friends might have the desire to join us.



No comments:

Post a Comment