Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Special Performances at Jazz Central

I attend the Sunday night jazz jam at Jazz Central out on East Third in Dayton just about every Sunday night. The jam starts around 8:30 and goes to around Midnight. Frankly, I try not to write about Jazz Central all that much or I would be posting something just about every week but this past week saw Adrienne Hindmarsh on B3 organ with husband Josh Hindmarsh, accompanied by Henry Miles Preston on drums as they faced off with Jazz Central Jazz Jam B3 organist Kenny Baccus with Greg Webster on drums. John Hampton Wagner was master of ceremony and got to sing and play pocket trumpet a little bit. I will take this opportunity to sing the praises of Josh and Adrienne. If you missed it I am sorry you did. You can sample their music by picking up a copy of their newest recording, Blue Skies, which I believe is available at CD Baby. It was a great night of music.

The very next night I did not get to the jazz jam until the last hour. I got there just in time to see Serious Young Musician prodigies Craig Hill on Tenor Saxophone and Tyrone Martin on alto saxophone and Coran Henley on drums. Any one of them can play and with all three on the bandstand it was almost overwhelming, AND, Cameron Vorhees has returned from his goodwill trip to the southern hemisphere to play his usual wonderful jazz guitar. These guest musicians were ably accompanied by the usual cast of characters, Kenny Baccus on B3, Cliff Darrett on latin percussions, Ahmed Muhammad on congas, John Hampton Wagner on trumpet and vocals and Roderick Wilson on trumpet. We were even blessed by the presence of Beverly Jackson who had not graced the stage in over a year. A memorable last hour for sure.

1 comment:

  1. looks like I missed a very special night on Dec 1st...UPCOMING Gig...
    SAXOPHONE FACE OFF-JAZZ CENTRAL, DAYTON,OHIO
    It's so great Cameron is back. I will be performing with him on guitar, and the fantastic Gene Walker. It's going to a great gig. I Look forward to seeing EVERYONE at JAZZ CENTRAL, [Dayton's Home for LIVE Jazz], on Saturday December 4th, 2010,8PM-12AM

    ReplyDelete