Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Jazz Central Jazz Jam does it again

Visited my usual Sunday night destination again this week and was treated to the talent of Archie McPheerson on the fluglebone. Yeah, that's right, I said the fluglebone. What in the world is a fluglebone you might ask? Well, as the name implies, it is a cross between a flugle horn and a trombone. I am so glad that I was at Gilly's recently to hear the Eddie Brookshire Quintet because that is where I ran into Archie. We talked about the last time he was at Jazz Central (way too long ago) and how he had played a bass trumpet and a fluglebone. I urged him to come down again in the near future and so he did. He was invited up to play with Eddie's Quintet along with two excellent sax players from Detroit (I apologize for not getting their names) and local trumpeter, Roderick Wilson [who has a new CD out by the way, a copy of which can be purchased in person at Jazz Central on most Sunday evenings] - Roderick is often at the Jazz Central Jam on Sunday nights but this particular night he was filling in for John Hampton Wagner and I might add that he did quite the credible job! Ron Applebury was there on bass guitar, Cliff Darrett was there on congas and Latin Percussion, Kenny Baccus on the B3, Greg Webster on drums (helped out by Henry Miles Preston) and "the fish boat man" also on congas. Roderick played some solos that would just knock you out and Archie helped keep things fired up on that fluglebone. You never know what you are going to get at Jazz Central on Sunday but some of those nights are pretty special.

3 comments:

  1. fluglebone ... sounds fishy but I like your reverence. I want to sing, never wanted to be a lumberjack. How do I find a session ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2931 East 3rd Street
    Sunday nights, 8:30 to Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also heard it called a bass trumpet.... basically it's a trumpet shaped valve trombone(used for marching bands)''''
    thanks

    ReplyDelete